Bashaw, AB T0B 0H0, Canada

Two years ago I signed up with Direct Energy and everything was just fine. I saved a great deal on my electric bills.

I live in a small, 560 sq ft apartment and my heat/hot water are included. The earlier part of this year I began to notice a huge increase in my bills going from $25/mo to over $40/mo. I thought it was something that I was doing so I began to cut back on leaving lights on and the TV while I was sleeping. I just received my bill for this month and it’s almost exactly what my bill was last month which is $82.

I realize that last month was hot but this month I was away for 2 weeks. I called customer service only to find out that my contract had expired a year ago and although they claim they mailed me a letter, I never got it. It turns out that the reason I never got it is because they didn’t have my address right. Because I never renewed my contract, Direct Energy put me on a variable rate plan which increased me from 12 kilowatts per hour to over 20.

BE VERY CAUTIOUS OF THIS COMPANY. Although they “claim” to send out notices chances are they really don’t. If you, the customer, don’t pay attention to your contract expiration date they will increase you without you even knowing it. I’m waiting for someone to call me from Direct Energy’s President’s office to call me but I doubt anyone will call.

I have filed a complaint with the Board of Public Utilities in NJ because I want a credit for all of the months that the increase went into effect since I never received notification of my contract expiring. It was their fault that they didn’t have my correct address.

Reason of review: No notification of contract expiring which resulted in huge increase in bills. They had my wrong address on file..

Preferred solution: Credit for months that contract was expired.

I liked: Rates were great in the beginning.

I didn't like: No notification when contract expired.

• Direct Energy Contract
Company wrote 0 private or public responses to the review from Sep 21.

Comments

tnardone0723

UPDATE: Direct Energy has contacted me and a refund is being issued. I must admit, in spite of everything, their customer service is excellent and it’s not because I’m getting a refund.

I called every single day for five days and made a complete PIA of myself.

The CSR’s were polite and professional every single time. Even if they had chosen not to refund me I would still have to compliment their customer service reps.