Have tried to cancel Direct Energy service for three years. Every time I'd call, I'm told no problem we'll take care of it.

Recently, I called again to cancel and was told I signed an agreement in April, which is when the current agreement would end. I stated that, "I would not sign an agreement for something I've tried to cancel for three years." I was then told they could cancel it but I'd be charged an early $104.00 cancellation fee. Then I was told that the Nest thermostat that I was sent would need to be sent back or be charged $199.00 for it. The question and answer below is quoted from the FTC.

(https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0181-unordered-merchandise) Q. Am I obligated to return or pay for merchandise I never ordered? A.

No. If you receive merchandise that you didn’t order, you have a legal right to keep it as a free gift.

Product or Service Mentioned: Direct Energy Customer Care.

Reason of review: Return, Exchange or Cancellation Policy.

Preferred solution: Remove cancellation fee as I did not sign current agreement..

Comments

DirectEnergyHelp
Houston, Texas, United States #1320833
Direct Energy Verified Representative

Hello! First we want to apologize for your negative experience with Direct Energy.

We would like to review your account to see if we can assist in any way if this has not been resolved yet.

Please email us at dedigitalcare@directenergy.com with your full name, account number, phone number, and service/mailing address at your earliest convenience. Thank you and have a wonderful day.