I had signed up in 2011 for the 1 year Direct ENERGY Home Maintenance Program. In Fall 2011, I started getting multiple renewal notices imploring that I needed to CALL NOW to renew the yearly plan, "this is your last chance", "renew now". I did not want to renew and therefore did not call Direct Energy. Low and behold, I received a bill in January 2012 for the first instalment of the 2012 Direct Energy Home Maintenance program. I called Direct Energy right away and was informed that I was automatically renewed. That Direct Energy does this to assist customers as they know customers don't have the time to renew, call in or read the notices. If, a customer wanted to cancel the plan that they had to verbal call in and cancel it over the phone. What the heck?

I cancelled, no refund given.

The bizzaro thing is the front line staff recognized that the material that is sent out by Direct Energy is misleading. The front line people where understanding of the problem. When I was transferred to the "contract" cancellation department, I got the run around, was told I did not read page 14 of the "welcome Kit", questioned if I really understood the warranty on my boiler and then they tried to up sell me. All I wanted to do was cancel.

So beware folks - even though you signed only a 1 year contract. Direct ENERGY will have you on the hook for years if you don't verbally call to cancel!!!!!

Review about: Direct Energy Customer Care.

Had an Experience with Direct Energy?

Comments

DirectEnergyHelp
Houston, Texas, United States #1322144
Direct Energy Verified Representative

Good Morning!We are very sorry in the delayed response and to hear of your negative experience with Direct Energy.

We want the opportunity to look into your account to resolve your issue if it has yet to be addressed. Please email us at dedigitalcare@directenergy.com with your full name, account number, phone number, mailing/service address, and your issue needing to be addressed at your earliest convenience.

Thank you and have a wonderful day.-Rose

Thank you for sharing your unfortunate experiences with Direct Energy. You are not alone. Last year, our law firm commenced a similar consumer fraud class action in federal court in New York against Energy Plus regarding is alleged unfair and deceptive business practices, and to date, the claims in that lawsuit were sustained by the federal judge presiding over the action. If you would like to discuss your legal options, please do not hesitate to contact me:

Greg Blankinship

Meiselman, Denlea, Packman, Carton & Eberz, P.C.

1311 Mamaroneck Avenue

White Plains, NY 10605

914-517-5000

gblankinship@mdpcelaw.com

To ensure compliance with applicable rules of professional conduct, please note that this reply might be construed as Attorney Advertising. Thank you, and I look forward to hearing from you.

In like manner, Direct Energy sent letters from Jack Frost, Director, Rental Sales & Marketing with no date or address, claiming to be rewarding customers with new "Revised Terms and Conditions", and giving a deadline of 2nd April 2012, TO DECLINE!(Usual trend is to give deadlines TO ACCEPT) Then they give only a telephone number to decline before 2nd April and LO - the phone is not working!

They post an email address on their Website apologising for the phone not working and giving an email address.I presume those customers who don't DECLINE by 2nd April will automatically be switched to the Revised Terms and Conditions.

They're trying to whack me for 260.00 because it automatically renewed.

I explained to them that we bought a new house with the new home warranty program and that we don't want or need it, but they couldn't care less.

They've obviously made their policy to make money off it, this company is out of control and must be stopped.

I posted this on their Facebook page, and they actually took down their "Wall" page.

What a joke of a company.