Our energy bill is normally $120 - $200.We have been with them over a year and have never had a late payment.

This month, we received a bill for over $700, stating it was for the last 3 months usage. When I called, they said they readjusted our rates for the last 3 months because their technician had not come to our home to read our meter and make sure it was accurate in those three months, and it wasn't. They told me they have the "right" to go back and charge us more for previous bills that we had already paid, and that they are under no obligation to notify us before adjusting our rate. So I have to pay $700 because their technician didn't do his job?

I'm really trying to find out if there is some way I have the right to make them pay for their own mistakes!!SO PISSED!

Had an Experience with Direct Energy?

Comments

DirectEnergyHelp
Houston, Texas, United States #1320698
Direct Energy Verified Representative

We appreciate feedback and are always willing to help with any issue that may need resolution. We can be contacted at DEdigitalcare@directenergy.com anytime! -Eden

I wish at the time I had known someone who was familiar with these laws.I did all I knew to do - contacted the PUC who told me they researched the case (all they did was read the company's notes.

Never came to our house to check the validity of it), contacted a columnist who is known for "outing" companies and helping you get fair treatment (he said he couldn't help us because we had already switched companies and closed out account with DE), and I spoke with every "higher up" in the company until eventually I was speaking with the president. Nobody seemed to give a ***.

I didn't know I had any other options so we paid if.:?

Hey, I am an accountant so you I deal with bills a lot.Never pay an invoice amount like this without first reveiving a detailed invoice and secondly fighting the charge.

You have the right to fight any charges that are unjustified, particularly when the fault is their own.

There are laws to protect consumers.Laws which no doubt they are breaking.

I was told BY Direct Energy themselves that it is their technician who reads the meter.

ACTUALLY ON THIS SITUATION IT IS THE LOCAL TDU FAULT, DIRECT ENERGY DOES NOT OWN THE METER, YOUR LOCAL DISTRIBUTOR READS YOUR METER & THATS NO MATTER WHAT PROVIDER YOUR WITH. YOU SHOULD FIND OUT WHO READS YOUR METER & COMPLAIN TO THAT COMPANY.

Best decision you ever made, Olivia.My husband and I ended up having to pay over $1000 before all was said and done because they said our meter was blocked (there's NO WAY you could ever have trouble getting to our meter).

He's a cop and we have a baby on the way - we can't afford to just throw away that much money because our electric company decides to lie to the PUC.It makes me sick, we may as well have just put that money in the fireplace and lit it!

Just had two Direct Energy salesmen (young guys) knock on my door.I started saying no thank you, don't want to change, no, no, no.

One of them was still talking, giving his spiel, as I closed the door in his face.

Wow.Talk about aggressive.

No I'm near Abilene.I've sent in complaints and they told me they investigated it and confirmed there was indeed a locked gate and the technician wasn't able to get to our meter to see that it was reading differently.

Guess what?

No gate anywhere near the meter.It's off the front of the house anyone can walk right up to it.

Are you in the dickinson texas area?I just had the same thing happen to me this month.

My normal usage is 800kW.

I was charged 5827 kWh.When I requested a re-read, guess what....I have a new meter and the old meter reading is no longer available.