A young women came to my door and claimed that my town had signed a special deal with Com Ed my electric provider. She was wearing a Direct Energy shirt and told me Direct Energy supplies the power for Com Ed, which is a LIE.

She then told me I 'had' to bring a copy of both my electric bill and natural gas bill to 'confirm' my rates. I used to work with our Fraud Department and can sense a scam when it happens. I declined to provide any bills and she said she would be my agent and would be back. I also checked with my town and there is no special deal with Direct Energy.

I also called Com Ed and they said the same thing.

My advice to Direct Energy is; if your want to sign up new suckers...I mean customers DO NOT LIE. I don't do business with misleading scammers.

Reason of review: Misleading sales tactics.

Comments

Yep, these Direct Energy door to door guys are a scam. They want to see your bills, get your personal info, etc. Don't give anything to them and turn them away.

Good catch.

DirectEnergyHelp
Direct Energy Verified Representative

Good Morning. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you or your family.

We would like to investigate this further for you. Could you please email us at dedigitalcare@directenergy.com with any of the following information? Agent Name, date the Agent visited your residence, brief description of your specific concerns with any important details and your full address. With this information we will forward it to the appropriate department to investigate the sales practices of the agent.

We can also add you to our Do Not Knock list as well. Thank you, - Jane

to DirectEnergyHelp #1385712

Would you like this information from anyone that has experienced this same scam? I just had it happen to me yesterday!

She was nothing more than a 1099 contractor, working on 100% commission. They are desperate for sales because they don't make an hourly wage.

You were correct in turning her away. If she or someone else comes back, ask for their solicitor's permit.

They won't have one. You can call the police and have them ran off.

to Anonymous #1384519

Na bro i used to do work like that and we had permits and a book on how to get around the law close calls but worried everytime

First parts true tho thats not a real job turn them down