I'm honestly not sure if direct energy is a scam or not, but the way they "enrolled" me in their program was very dishonest.A sales person came to my door and asked to see my electric and gas bills to see if I was being charged a fee I shouldn't have been.

(I probably should have turned them away at this point...). I went and brought them my bills and they pointed out a $19 charge on each of the bills that shouldn't have been there. My assumption was that they were there to report the fact that I had been over billed to the gas and electric companies in order to fix my bill. (Again, I should have turned them away already).

Then they tell me that they need to enroll me in their service to fix the issue and that I needed to take a phone call. During the phone call, the representative asks if the sales people have left your apartment. The direct energy people were still with me at this point and prompted me to answer that "yes, they had left". They asked me to put my phone on speaker phone and then pointed to all the answers they wanted me to read off to the verification representative on the phone.

During that phone call, I just kept following their directions so that I could get them to leave. As soon as they left, I called and canceled the direct energy service.

I'm still not really sure if I would have saved money staying enrolled in direct energy, but I don't feel comfortable supporting a business that uses such dishonest tactics to get customers.If their service really is good, they probably wouldn't need to resort to tricking customers into enrolling.

Review about: Direct Energy Sales Representative.

I didn't like: Sales techniques.

I had the same thing happen and now I'm stuck in a contract the reps. lie

Direct Energy Verified Representative

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.We don't condone these type of sales tactics and take this feedback very seriously.

Would you mind sending us an email at with your account information and a good contact number along with any information you might have about the sales agent.

We would like to investigate this right away.Thank you, - Jane

"(I probably should have turned them away at this point...)."

Right !

That's exactly what you should have done.

Don't even let the first full sentence out of their mouth.

Be polite but firm.

"No. thank you" (door shutting noise) end of problem.